1. What is the difference between modular construction and traditional interior construction?
Modular interiors are produced in controlled environment such as a factory where every part is quality controlled according to proprietary technology, and is easily assembled and disassembled. Where required, fuss free replacement of parts is available.
In traditional construction, a carpenter constructs each part by hand resulting in lower consistency and standardization. There is less mobility and replacement of parts, which makes it difficult to replace pieces in event of damages.
2. Is there a price difference between modular construction and traditional interior construction?
Traditionally, carpentry and interiors from Europe had always been modular. Because of the European heritage, the prices tended to be higher than traditional interior carpentry and construction in Asia. In the past, interior design in Asia was more built-in carpentry focused and cost of materials was lower. As countries like Singapore progress, cost of labour and materials increase. Made to measure modularly produced interiors are now becoming more cost competitive to traditional carpentry works which can be pricey.
3. How long does it take for a typical modular interior project for a semi-detached property to be completed?
A lot of it depends on the extent of work done. Typically, design takes one to two months for client approval. Following the approval, orders and shipments will be processed before installation works can commence. It takes four to six months for completion of an interior project for a 3-storey semi-detached house.
4. Is modular construction more durable and lasting?
Modular construction technology has been tried and tested vigorously, and subject to strict quality control before shipment. An established brand like Kuhlmann with nearly 100 years history emphasizes sustainable and quality control parts certified to be non-toxic by the authorities. Traditional modular construction depends on the skills and workmanship of the carpenter and his use/selection of quality of constituent parts.
Kuhlmann International has developed a reputation for its technology integrity, timeless quality, durability and factory precision manufacturing.
5. Is modular sustainable and green?
Kuhlmann abides by strict European environment standards e.g. high density MDF boards made from sustainable recycled wood; spray lacquer and adhesives used are VOC free with low emission ratings. Kuhlmann interior is precision manufactured in our factory with German intelligence and a strict compliance to European Standard E1 level of formaldehyde emission. No heavy metals are used.
6. What does TMB do actually?
Unofficially known as The Modular Builder, TMB Pte Ltd is the official representative of Kuhlmann. TMB consists of a team of outstanding architects, designers and affiliate contractors to offer premium interior services to residentials such as landed property, condominiums, service apartments, hospitality sector as well as real estate developers in Singapore.
7. What are the key or best-selling products for Kuhlmann?
As an established brand, Kuhlmann is widely renowned for its wardrobe systems and modular kitchens. It has also developed a reputation for its furniture and loose architectural styling accessories.
8.Does Kuhlmann International do main contractor work?
TMB has a pool of affiliate contractors that does main contractor work.
9. Can I mix and match Kuhlmann and local carpentry?
Yes, you can.
10. Can I get my own main contractor?
Yes, TMB works with main contractors, architects and designers to install the Kuhlmann products exclusively much like any other branded interior.
11. What type of warranty does Kuhlmann International offer?
TMB offers a 1-year warranty against any manufacturing defects during normal use and maintenance. This applies to all Kuhlmann International products manufactured in our factory and assembled and installed by TMB. The warranty is effective from date of handover followed by a maintenance service for customers to subscribe to.
The Warranty does not cover:
1. Damage derived from wear and tear due to improper use of the product
2. Damage derived from non-respect of instructions of use, maintenance or wrongful usage of cleaning media, or from personal negligence
3. Variations in colour over time due to prolonged sun exposure
4. Damage caused by subsequent third party modifications or alterations made to the goods
5. Damage caused by third party plumbing or wiring
6. Damage caused by third party electrical appliances installed by others into Kuhlmann products
12. Can design be customised based on exact footage?
All our interior solutions are bespoke. We work closely with our customers in understanding their needs and floorplans to come up with best solutions for the home.
13. Is there a Showroom when I can touch and feel the product?
*Opening in October 2021, the Kuhlmann Experience Centre is the first of its kind in Singapore for customers to walk in and visualise first hand of the modular products on display. Customers can view a kitchen, living room, dining room and a walk-in wardrobe; and also consult with our designers.
*Subject to prevailing safe distancing measures
14. Are the designers able to visit my home first for a discussion?
For the first appointment, customers are invited to visit the Kuhlmann Experience Centre for a viewing of the Kuhlmann products and a ‘no obligation’ consultation with our designers.